Monday, March 30, 2009

Weekly Travels: Episode II


Last week, I had the pleasure of working in the Savannah area. On my drive down, I stopped in Metter to call on accounts. It was a beautiful day and colorful flags were everywhere. I absolutely love small towns and am so grateful that my work allows me to visit many of them throughout the year.

As you can see on the black flag, Metter is home of Televangelist "The Sower" Dr. Michael Guido. He passed away in February, so I took this opportunity to visit the Guido headquarters. Growing up near Metter, "The Sower" was one of our South Georgia celebrities, so I felt the urge to pay my respects.

Here's a brief entry regarding Dr. Guido (from Savannah Now):

Longtime televangelist Michael Guido, who distributed his "Seeds from the Sower" sermonettes around the world, died around 9 p.m. Saturday at the Candler County Hospital in Metter. He was 94 years old.

For more than 50 years, Michael Guido was known by Christians worldwide as a televangelist whose wholesome radio, television and newspaper sermonettes promoted hard work, the Golden Rule and faith in a loving God.

Guido first came to Metter in 1943 as a young gospel singer. He met and later married his wife, Audrey Guido.

After leaving Metter, I prepared to drive for one more hour to enjoy lunch at Skylers, one of my regular spots in Savannah. When visiting Savannah, I rarely miss an opportunity to visit Skylers, located in the basement of the historic East Bay Inn located at 225 East Bay Street. I thoroughly enjoyed my meal...brace yourself--I had a crabcake, a Moon roll (spring roll) and Teriyaki Chicken with rice and sauteed veggies. NO I DID NOT EAT IT ALL!!! I barely ate half and was absolutely stuffed. All that food plus sweet tea for $13 (including tip). If you have the opportunity to travel to Savannah, add Skyler's to your casual dining list.




I enjoyed a wonderful three days in the beautiful, historic Savannah area. I'm looking forward to my return visits, for both business and pleasure.

Sheila Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment