Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Great Cupcake Smackdown - A Broke Socialite Production


This entry is being written on the heels of a 2 hour coma . Who knew that eating cupcakes could be so exhausting? I hope my overindulgence doesn’t interfere with my little bit of writing skills.


I am honored to have had the pleasure of attending The Great Cupcake Smackdown, hosted by The Broke Socialite and Events By Canvas. The shindig was held at the lovely Bradford’s on Bishop. Now there's one thing you should know, Mrs. TBS throws a mean par-tay. We had music courtesy of DJ Mark of Sirrah Soundz, mocktails, provided by Chef Rob's Caribbean Cafe, and Vitamin Water representatives were in attendance as well, with lots of Vitamin Water Zero. Claire of LeahandMark was the event's official photographer. Each contestant offered two cupcakes – Red Velvet and their Freestyle choice. There were 10 contestants, so y’al that’s 20 cupcakes if you ate one of each!! I didn’t eat 20, but even tasting that many was quite a task. I had grand intentions of taking photos, but after the second cupcake, I quickly realized that trying to be a photographer was impeding my progress. I pathetically took only two photos, so I won’t even bother to post them. I do apologize and hope you understand.


Here’s a partial list of the wonderful contestants (I still can’t think clearly right now—will complete the list after the coma has passed, later this week):


Black Tie Barbeque

Cupcake Love Bakery

Daisy's Desserts

Holly’s Cupcake Shop

Little Cake Bakery

Pink Cupcake Dreams

Sassy Girl Pies & More

Simply Sweet & More

Sweet Dreams by Weems

Sweet Justice


Based on the endless Twitter and Facebook chatter for the past several weeks, I knew this would be a big event, but this thing was HUGEMONGOUS!!! When I arrived, the parking lot was flooded with vehicles, so, many of us utilized the “desperation parking” method and parked wherever we could (I think we were semi-legal in doing so). I entered the reception area was given my little voting card, walked into the competition area and nearly FAINTED! There were cupcakes EVERYWHERE and TONS of them! The aromas nearly made me swoon. I had to pinch myself—had I died and gone to HEAVEN?? Not quite, I made it to Heaven about four cupcakes into the taste testing. By the time I was done, I was downright in sugar misery (in a good way), but Lord I needed some real food to counteract the abundance of sugar running through my veins, so glutton me, had a late lunch, went furniture shopping and arrived home just in time to pass out into a sugar-laden stupor.


As I mentioned there were 20 cupcakes to taste and these were the rules of engagement:


~Each contestant prepared a Red Velvet cupcake and a second “freestyle” cupcake. All judges and attendees tasted both.


~After tasting both offerings from each chef, we (the people) and the guest judges voted and selected the winners.


~Contestants also performed demonstrations.



Congratulations to the winners!!!


Peoples' Choice (Red Velvet) by Little Cake Bakery

Judges' Choice (Red Velvet) by Pink Cupcake Dreams

Peoples' Choice Freestyle (Better Than Sex) by Pink Cupcake Dreams

Judges' Choice Freestyle (Marie Antoinette) by Little Cake Bakery


The Great Cupcake Smackdown was an undeniable HIT and the beauty of the entire event was the sportsmanship, graciousness, and true labor of love shown by each of the contestants. It couldn’t have been an easy task to prepare so many delectable treats for us, making it readily apparent that they LOVE what they do. I’d like to tip my hat to each of you. Please take the opportunity to support these great businesses—sponsors included. You won’t be disappointed. I certainly wasn’t.


Sheila Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment