Thursday, December 15, 2011

Tis The Season For Cookies!!

 
Please don't fall out of your chair.  I know you're probably in SHOCK that I'm actually posting, but over the past several months, I've been forced to focus on a few other things.  I haven't forgotten you and I hope you haven't forgotten me either. 

I baked Ginger Snaps tonight.  Actually, I've been baking cookies almost all week, but I keep getting requests for Ginger Snaps, so back to the kitchen I went.  I've used this recipe for many, MANY years.  When it was shared with me, there was no indication of where the recipe came from, but as I've researched, it's the same recipe  listed on Blue Ribbon Baking.  I always want to credit the proper person, so just in case the recipe I received is indeed from this site, all bases are covered.

 Ready to roll

Cookie sheets #2 & #3 awaiting their turn in the oven

Finished product


Ginger Snaps (Printable Version)

3/4 cup shortening
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed (light or dark)
1/4 cup molasses
1 large egg
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 cup sugar (for rolling)

*I always add a bit more of the spices and I don't chill the dough.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Cream shortening, brown sugar, molasses and egg in large bowl. In a separate bowl sift flour, baking soda, salt and spices. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, blending until mixed. Dough can be chilled for easy handling.

Shape the dough into balls the size of whole walnuts. Roll balls in sugar, place on baking sheet. Bake 8-9 minutes at 375 degrees. Cool on sheet one minute before transferring to rack.

Makes 3-4 dozen.

As you can see, this is a super easy recipe and these cookies are absolutely delicious!!  If you try them, I'd love to hear your feedback. 

Sheila Denise

1 comment:

  1. Shelia,
    I love cookies like these. I call them Molasses cookies and have adapted a SL recipe for my annual ones. I also live in Atlanta. I'm going to GFC you so we can stay in touch.

    ReplyDelete