Tuesday, January 5, 2010

306 North - Valdosta, GA

Happy New Year y'all!!! I'm finally back to blogging. I've been MIA for quite some time and I'm excited to be back. I thought I'd start with my first business trip of the year and in my EXTREME excitement, I didn't bring my camera along for dinner. It was taking a nice siesta in the hotel room. I do apologize for not having photos, but at least I'm blogging again, so please be happy for me.

I'm in Valdosta for a few days and I was on a mission to find great food and tonight I hit the jackpot. I discovered a very nice little gem, 360 North. I love everything about this restaurant from the bar to the wonderful food to the outstanding service. Oh, the name 306 North is also the address--306 Norh Patterson Street. Kinda cool huh??

Since I don't have photos, I'll describe dinner the best I can. My work boy bestie, Charles, and I, started with cocktails, of course. I had my usual Lemon Drop and Chuck had his usual Ketel One and tonic. We were both very happy with the outcome. They each had just the right amount of the necessary ingredients.

Now let's move on to dinner. I ordered the Roasted Pork Butt Quesadilla and Chuck had the Frito Misto (calamari). The quesadilla was served with Chipotle Salsa and Cilantro Creme Fraiche and the calamari was served with a Tomato Lemon Aoili. Both were very tasty, but I personally think the pork butt needed barbeque sauce to jazz it up a bit and the calamari was a wee tad on the crispy side.

The entrees, which were FABULOUS, were spot on. We ordered Chicken Cordon Bleu (early bird special and only $10.95) and Pan Seared Scallops. Both entrees came with a salad. I had a Spinach Salad and Chuck had the Mixed Greens Salad. The chicken was served open faced with a very nice mustard sauce and two sides (sweet potato mash and broccoli). An interesting deconstructed version of Cordon Bleu. The oh so succulent scallops were complemented with garlic mashed potatoes and the best grilled asparagus I've eaten in a very long time. Everything was perfectly prepared and beautifully presented. Y'all already know that I'm an all day sucker for presentation, so I was a very happy camper.

We managed to leave a little room for dessert and decided on the Caramelized Angel Food Cake with Raspberry Sorbet and the Pumpkin Pie Creme Brulee with Apples. I must say, I was pleasantly surprised by both dishes--in a very GOOD way. I've never been a huge fan of pumpkin, but this dessert may change my mind. Creme Brulee is one of my all time favorite desserts and the pumpkin twist was a nice change. The angel food cake was a crispy, sugary package on the outside with fluffy softness inside. The sorbet was just the right combination of sweet and tart. They were both a great way to end tonight's meal.

306 North is definitely a spot you should check out if you find yourself in the Valdosta area. I'm very happy that I discovered it and am thrilled to pass along my dining experience. Stop in and tell them Sheila sent you...they won't know who I am, but it kinda has a nice ring to it.

Sheila Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment