Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Champagne (Ataulfo) Mango

I was strolling through the market and was pleasantly surprised to see a HUGE Champagne Mango display. I was even more excited to see that they were fifty cents each!! Boy oh boy, was I thrown into a tizzy thinking of the many ways I planned to enjoy these delicious little golden babies. I knew that as soon as I arrived home, I'd eat one standing over the kitchen sink, allowing the juices to run down my chin and wrists, while thinking about other ways to indulge myself with my mango harvest. I've been a lover of the mango for as long as I can remember and always manage to overdo it to the point of swearing them off--yeah right!!

While cleaning my face and arms, I decided to make my old standard for dinner, Mango and Black Bean Salsa. It's probably one of the simplest, tastiest, quickest recipes in my arsenal.
Mango and Black Bean Salsa

2 Champagne Mangoes, diced
1/3 Red Pepper, diced
1/3 Small Red Onion, diced
1 Jalapeno Pepper, diced
1 can Black Beans, rinsed
Handful of Cilantro
Juice of 1 Lime
Splash of Grapeseed Oil, or oil of your choice (optional)

Combine all ingredients. Allow to flavors to blend. Serve at room temp or chilled. This is an extremely versatile recipe, you can tweak it to your liking. I've added cucumber, tomatoes, whole kernel corn...you get the drift. This would be a perfect side for your Memorial Day gathering. Go ahead--give it a shot.
I didn't really feel like cooking anything elaborate, so I sauteed some chicken breasts, jerk style and enjoyed a fantastically light meal balanced with a glass of St. Urbans-Hof Riesling (okay two glasses). The Riesling was a gift from my dear BBFF (boy best friend forever), who I'm paying quiet tribute to this week...so CHEERS to you Chuck!!!

Sheila Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment